The Holiday Classic is perhaps our favorite event of the year, it not only offers quite a lot of entertainment but when it comes to dancing there is always some excitement in the air. This is an excellent way of finishing a year of dance and there is no better place to close up the dance book for the year than at the “Holiday Classic.” With close to 12 thousand entries, the Holiday Classic also continues to be a popular competition to do and with Vegas as the playground you can never go wrong with this competition as a choice to finish up your dance year.
In speaking to some of the judges after the fact many of them were not as impressed with Andrei & Nino’s performance, they all seemed to agree that they are both super talented but many of them seem not to quite understand what they are trying to do, some feel that the qualities that made Nino such a commodity on the dance floor as an incredible lady in the amateur field have all been taken away, and although their routines were fully deserving of second place, they did not rise to the level of musicality and clarity that Troels & Ina showcased. But given the relative lengths of the two partnerships, perhaps that is to be expected. In the rumba only two judges awarded Andrei & Nino first place and they were Plamen Danilov and Marcus Homm. In the paso doble Andrew Philips and Bill Sparks also awarded them first. But in the jive all judges awarded Troles & Ina perfect scores once again.
Before we go on to the other more predictable professional heats we must mention the other Latin heat that was quite fun for the audience with an impressive lineup - the Open Amateur Latin. Here the indisputable winners for us and for the judges were Alexander Chermositov & Arina Grishanina winning all dances with a majority of firsts and losing two first place marks in all dances from different judges, their lowest score was a third place in the rumba from Eugene Katsevman, other than that they never lost more than three marks in all dances.
Here are some selected highlights from the pro-am divisions.
Open A Pro-Am Smooth
1. Morgan Wissel w/ Igor Dogoter 1,1,1,1; 2. Ali Crampton w/ Mariusz Olszewski 2,3,2,2; 3. Arun Garg w/ Joseph Lettig 3,2,3,3; 4. Jocaster Champion w/ Toby Monroe 4,4,4,5; 5. James Malone w/ Julianne Daniells 5,5,5,4; 6. Anoushka Seneviratve w/ Gigo Koguashvili 6,6,6,6; 7. Julianne Siewert w/ Chris Thorburn 7,7,7,7.
1. Celia Chou w/ Erminio Stefano 1,1,1,1,1; 2. Joan Ann Smith w/ Anton Lebedevsky 2,2,2,2; 3. Aja Pascale w/ Sergey Samchynskyy 3,3,3,3; 4. Thara Salamone w/ Jim Maranto 4,6,4,4; 5. Nannel Wray w/ Enzo Zappia 5,5,5,5; 6. Bo Chang w/ Roman Malkasyan 6,4,6,6.
Open C Pro-Am Smooth
1. Kimberly Bottini w/ Aleksandr Vukosavljevic 1,1,1,1; 2. Sue Eldred w/ Oleksiyy Pigotskyy 3,2,2,2; 3. Karence Chan w/ Paul Cloud 2,3,3,3; 4. Danielle Monroy w/ Max Sinitsa 4,4,4,4; 5. Anna Capo w/ Luis Lopez 6,5,5,5; 6. Sharon Powers w/ Jason Daly 5,7,6,6; 7. Debra Hoag w/ Roman Malkhasyan 7,6,7,7; 8. Ben Ow w/ Natalie Gorshkova 8,8,8,8.
1. Sue Eldred w/ Oleksiyy Pigotskyy 1,1,1,1; 2. Shannon Bachtnski w/ Dmitry Levita 2,2,2,2; 3. Anna Capo w/ Luis Lopez 4,3,4,3; 4. Robin Kencel w/ Dmytro Pankov 3,5,3,5; 5. Darla Davies w/ Jim Maranto 5,4,5,4; 6. Susan Wells w/ Marcin Tomaszewski 6,6,6,6.
Open M2 Pro-Am Smooth
1. Janice Eggert w/ Mariusz Zakrzewski 1,2,1,1; 2. Susan Murdoch w/ Steve Vasco 3,3,2,2; 3. Vonnie Lowman w/ Jim Maranto 4,1,4,3; 4. Robert Gorelick w/ Viktorija 2,4,3,4; 5. Siva Tayi w/ Pamela Romano 5,5,5,5; 6. Kathleen Carno w/ Rostislav Liduch 6,6,6,6; 7. Sue Rossman w/ Erwin Rybczynski 7,7,7,7; 8. Kaye McGann w/ Madelina Varlam Lettig 8,8,8,8.
1. Pat Luthy w/ Vladimir Popov 1,1,1,1; 2. Jeanie Bernstein w/ Jim Maranto 2,2,2,2; 3. Peter Wu w/ Lynsay Ray 3,3,3,3; 4. Sue Rossman w/ Erwin Rybczynski 4,4,4,4.
Open A Pro-Am Latin
1. Anna Brown w/ Andrey Tarasov 1,1,1,1,1; 2. Meera Mehta w/ Kristijan Burazar 3,2,3,2,2; 3. Celene Parragh w/ Joseph Parragh 2,3,2,3,3; 4. Jessica Stone w/ Sergey Korshunov 4,4,4,4,4; 5. Lori Ebinger w/ Tabish Romario 5,5,5,5,5; 6. Danielle Gorin w/ Umario Diallo 6,6,6,6,7; 7. Marie Hughes w/ Evgeny Nazarov 7,7,7,7,6.
1. Maria Shtabskaya w/ Nikita Brovko; 2. Peggy Fang w/ Nikolai Tarasov 2,2,2,2,2; 3. Zhihai Li w/ Kiril Nikitin 3,3,3,3,4; 4. Rui Li w/ Yulia Kuznetsov 4,4,4,4,3; 5. Katherine Kuan w/ Jacub Zeglen 5,5,5,5,5; 6. Sandra Reina w/ Adam Katona 6,6,6,6,6;
Open C Pro-Am Latin
1. Kimberly Bottini w/ Aleksandr Vukosavljevic 1,1,1,1,1; 2. Peggy Fang w/ Nikolai Tarasov 2,2,2,2,2; 3. Summer Chung w/ Ilie Bardahan 3,3,3,3,3; 4. Debra Chen w/ Toshko Kondov 4,6,4,4,4; 5. Tomoko Fujiwara w/ Sergey Samchynskyy 6,5,5,5,5T; 6. Suzette Tse w/ Evgeny Likachev 5,4,6,6,5T.
1. Shannon Bachtnski w/ Dmitry Levita 1,2,2,1,1; 2. Ada Fung w/ Adam Katona 2,1,4,3,3; 3. Robyn Schreiber w/ Viktor Shumylo 3,3,3,2,2; 4. Iris Chiang w/ Igor Colac 6,4,1,5,5; 5. Cynthia Lanvin w/ Oleksiyy Pigotskyy 4,5,5,4,6; 6. Vanessa Wilson w/ Andrey Tarasov 8,8,6,6,4; 7. Luna Viva w/ Kristijan Burazar 5,6,7,7,7; 8. Marina Kazakevich w/ Mitch Gotchev 7,7,8,8,8.
1. Cynthia Lanvin w/ Oleksiyy Pigotskyy 1,1,1,1,1; 2. Susanna Binder w/ Peppe Incatasciato 2,2,2,2,2; 3. Ruth Tombokon w/ Nikolai Tarasov 3,3,4,3,4; 4. Ruben Garcia w/ Sarah Nolan 4,4,3,4,3; 5. Maria Ybarra w/ Egor Bezukladnivov 5,5,5,5,5T; 6. Joseph Hubchenko w/ Denise Rivera 6,6,6,6,5T